Monday 6 October 2014

Snapshots of Buraidah

Last month I took the plunge and headed over to Saudi Arabia to live for a while. I have found myself working in Buraidah, a provincial city in Al Qassim. It is known for being the heartland of Wahhabism - an ultraconservative form of Islam - so as you can imagine things are rather different here compared to anywhere else I have lived. It is the polar opposite of South Korea.

Have a look for yourself...
buraydah01 buraydah02
buraydah03
It gets extremely hot. Daytime highs of 40ºC in September. I'm glad I wasn't here in the summer.
buraydah04 buraydah05
buraydah06
You don't see many people in the streets as it is way too hot. Pretty much everybody drives except some migrant workers.
buraydah07 buraydah08 buraydah09 buraydah10 buraydah11 buraydah12 buraydah13
buraydah14
Hot sauce galore!
buraydah15
It can get a little dusty.
buraydah16 buraydah17 buraydah18 buraydah19 buraydah20
buraydah21
The sunsets here are unparalleled. Every night I take a walk over to my gym as the sun goes down.
buraydah22
buraydah23
Believe it or not, this is a new build.
buraydah24
The malls here have Mango and Zara. All the women shopping in the malls are wearing the niqab. It's bizarre to know that they are shopping for clothes that are in complete contrast to what women are expected to wear in the streets.
buraydah25
Eid. The only people I see walking the streets are Indians and this rogue fellow.
buraydah26
buraydah27
Arabic numerals. Even the speed signs are in Arabic. Well, there are no tourist visas after all.
buraydah28
buraydah29
Junk food rules in Saudi Arabia. I try to avoid these places at all costs. I confess I did try out Little Caesars. It is not the same as in the States unfortunately.
buraydah30
The eighties called. They want their ring pulls back!
buraydah31
Pumpin' vibes.

There are so many mosques you can hear the call to prayer being announced from every angle. They are not synchronised so it gets a little intense and disorientating.
buraydah33
If it's too hot to carry your groceries, just take the trolley. There are some guys who do the rounds and collect them.
buraydah34
Clouds!
buraydah35 buraydah36
buraydah37
Stay cool. Stick a rug on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment